In 1944, Clarence James Beamish bought several lots on Oak island, including the properties of George and James McInnis (descendants of Money Pit Discoverer Donald Daniel McInnes). This gave Beamish ownership of most of the western end of the island, including the part were the Blankenships live now. Beamish established and operated a sawmill on the island, and also built several cabins that people could rent. Triton Alliance (predecessor to the partnership of the Laginas, Tester, and Blankenship) had this to say about the cabins in a tourist pamphlet, “Welcome to Oak Island”, that they produced:
Mr. Clarence Beamish built the saw mill in the early 1900's, using reinforced steel to strengthen the concrete pillars. As the bay is very deep, and wide enough to turn a ship around at the end of this island, it was ideal for large ships of the time to bring their cargo of logs to the island. The mill, however, was not popular with the local people who had to float their logs across the bay, then make arrangements to transport the cut lumber back to the mainland. The causeway, of course, did not exist at that time. Mr.Beamish and his family eventually left the island due to harsh winters and settled on the mainland.
Mr. Beamish passed away on July 25th, 1955. Here is a tourist map from the same pamphlet (Credit Joy Steele, author of Oak Island Mystery Solved):