In 1944, Clarence James Beamish bought several lots on Oak island, including the properties of George and James McInnis (descendants of Money Pit Discoverer Donald Daniel McInnes). This gave Beamish ownership of most of the western end of the island, including the part were the Blankenships live now. Beamish established and operated a sawmill on the island, and also built several cabins that people could rent. Triton Alliance (predecessor to the partnership of the Laginas, Tester, and Blankenship) had this to say about the cabins in a tourist pamphlet, “Welcome to Oak Island”, that they produced:
"Several small cottages were built on the island by Mr. Beamish from logs sawn on Oak Island. Five or six of these cottages were hauled across the ice in the winter by horses and now comprise "Lockie's Cottages" in Mahone Bay.” "The causeway, of course, did not exist at that time. Mr.Beamish and his family eventually left the island due to harsh winters and settled on the mainland."
Mr. Beamish passed away on July 25th, 1955. Here is an ad from a newspaper of the period when the cabins were in business (Credit: R.V. Harris fonds - Public Archives of Nova Scotia):