To describe the method in simple terms, the apex of the stone triangle is where the surveyor positions himself, looking out along the center line towards the water. Somewhere along that line a point, labeled "T" in the example we saw, can be determined by sighting out along the two ends of the arc. Those "sight" lines will intersect the center line at some point, depending on the angles, and that point of intersection marks point "T".
Discovering this old survey method created some intriguing musings about the possibilities that point "T" could mark a flood tunnel, another hidden clue, or important landmark. Our excitement was renewed in season three of the Curse of Oak Island television show when they discovered a triangular rock off the South shore of the island. Could that be the point we thought the stone triangle might mark? Anything was possible because without the stone triangle we couldn't really determine point "T" with any degree of accuracy.
Imagine our surprise this weekend, while reviewing Dan Blankenship's field reports to Triton Alliance which he filed back in 1965. He had discovered an old shaft right on the edge of the water of the South Shore, and he wrote that the shaft was about 30 feet due south of the stone triangle. What's more is that this shaft was hidden from view. Dan wrote that it was a domed shaft buried under 12 feet of soil. He aptly called it the "Hidden Shaft". Now this is really interesting, as what better way to hide something important than to leave no indicators in the immediate area of that important spot, but create a survey monument a distance away that can be used to triangulate that spot again when needed, and only those trained in surveying would stand a chance of even knowing what the monument was for. Incidentally, it was a 17th century military surveying book we found the method in. So far, we have only found one land surveyor here in present day that understood the triangle.
Dan Blankenship investigated his Hidden Shaft in 1965 and again in 1966, forming a theory around it that involved the Money Pit shaft being a decoy, and the Hidden Shaft being the actual entrance to the Treasure Chamber in the vicinity of the Money Pit. Maybe, just maybe, the Stone Triangle was the real key to solving the mystery all of these years. Here is Dan's report for you to read:
So what do you think? Was Dan on to something important back in 1965? Did their trenching on the South shore accidently located point "T" as possibly indicated by the old stone triangle? As of yet, we have not seen a follow up report on this in the old papers, so we do not know if it was ever pursued further.
Goodnight from The Blockhouse!
UPDATE: Blockhouse Investigations believes in accurate reporting and giving credit where credit is due. Since we first brought you this story we've learned that we aren't the first or only party to discover the location of this stone. We've learned that a local Historical Society has also tracked it down and is in communication with the current owner. We feel that the responsible thing to do is for us to back off in our investigation and let the society continue on with their great work and perhaps assist as required.
We'll bring you the full story once things develop
What's the story of this inscribed stone? Where was it found and when?
By Kel Hancock Blockhouse Investigations
Well, it was discovered here in Hants County, Nova Scotia, around 1900 in the little village of Ardoise. It's made of slate which, coincidentally, is what the French word "ardoise" means- slate.
It's long been speculated that this stone was possibly the earliest grave stone to be discovered in Nova Scotia, and for many years it was considered "lost".
A long-time theory has been that it's the grave marker of a Portuguese sailor who died on a hunting party to the interior in 1558.
Local historian L.S. Loomer had the following to say:
"At the south extremity of Windsor township lies the high ground ofArdoise Hill. There about 1900 was discovered apparent evidence of other visitors to the area. It is a piece of slate, 12 inches long, six inches high, and a quarter inch thick. It bears a shield with a chevron and sword, an arrow, a skull and cross-bones, and the Latin inscription: 'C. Manulis, Hic Jacet, A.M.DLVIII.' Translated it appears to be 'Here lies C. Manulis 1558.' The rest is a mystery. He may have been one of a hunting party of Portuguese fishermen who died and was buried on Ardoise Hill. The stone, in private hands,would be the oldest known inscribed gravestone in Hants County."
-"Windsor, Nova Scotia - A Journey In History," WHHS,1996, p. 25.
A few decades ago the Nova Scotia Museum deemed that the stone was a fake. But many still insist that it's not.
Is it authentic or is it a fake? Perhaps the product of some adventurous and imaginative 19th century boys at play? Or does it really mark the final resting place of a Portuguese visitor to our shores?
Blockhouse Investigations has found this stone!
We're following the evidence and we'll bring you a full report soon.
Until then, Good Day from the Blockhouse!
From The Blockhouse
is published by Blockhouse Investigations and oakislandcompendium.ca
in Nova Scotia, Canada
Editors and Chief Correspondents
Kelly W. Hancock, CD
John Wonnacott, P. Eng.
All material and images published herein, unless otherwise credited, are copyright of Blockhouse Investigations and oakislandcompendium.ca and may be reproduced by permission only.
Views expressed in these blog posts are our own. The views of those that comment are their own.